A Virtual Life
Thursday, March 09, 2006
International Women’s Day
Yesterday was the International Women’s Day. Yes, I know what you’re thinking: boring, another feminist, out of topic, etc. But I allow myself here to open a parenthesis about that subject.
Well, not so much…
Yesterday, I played as usual my favorite game (Guild Wars for those who still don’t know!). I was in one of those outposts when a girl asked out loud for some help. Before I could ask what she needed, a guy replied by stating that girls don’t play computer games… Why? The reasons are multiple and simple: because girls are bad at it (this is of course the toned-down version), they are not made for that, implying that it is only a guy thing. They started to argue and I couldn’t help sticking my oar in. The situation became worse because some other guys intervened too, supporting that first guy.
The positive point is that some guys supported the women’s side, but it was the minority. I had the feeling to be back at the Stone Age.
I know it is a little incident, so why am I making such a big fuss out of it?
Because we are now in the 21st century, and this male chauvinistic behavior still arises.
Whatever the political situation of the country, women have still to defend their rights.
I agree the latter is different according to the country you live in, and the cost of their defense can be very expensive too. In more developed countries, you have disparities in terms of incomes. But in some less-developed countries, women don’t even have the right to be …women (for more information, you can have a look on the Internet, or read that recent article about women in Bangladesh. Be careful before jumping, for sensitive people, it can be harsh to stand). And the price they pay is losing their life.
To come back to my little incident, I would like to say that I know it was probably some kids who wanted to be a bit provocative, but even if it is the case, isn’t it sad somehow? Children represent our future, and if we, as adults, don’t help them to change the mentality, who will?

Technorati Tags: , .
posted by Caroline @ 2:18 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well I guess these people have never seen me play TeamFortress LOL. A few years back my husband was totally into playing the online game of TFC and when he was at work or otherwise not able to play I would play. I of course had my own player name, etc. I would play against my husbands friends. Many times they would actually prefer if I played instead of my husband. I guess I was more agressive. I enjoyed it very much and could let off some steam at the same time ;)

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In the first place, games were designed by guys for guys, with guys' themes. That is war, fights and things to destroy !
    We had to wait for a long time before having some other kinds of game. Now you've got Role Playing Game instead of Shoot'em up. In the beginning, it was easier to show a spacheship shooting aliens than a whole world in 3D with a scenario and character developments.

    I also guess women and men were not equal regarding modern technologies such as computers and networks. For a long time, you had only male geeks !

    Now I think it's beginning to change. The Internet really seems to touch everybody, whatever age or gender. The gaming evolution allows more complex scenarios and graphic designs. But just like in reality, I guess women will still have to struggle a bit more to make themselves some room in this virtual guys world.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Matt,
    Thanks for dropping by.
    I guess you are right. But what I find sad is that women have always to struggle somehow, whereas for men, everything is pretty much granted. Those are big lines of course, but this is the feeling I have.
    Cheers, Caroline

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    You're not the only one who feels that way, Caroline. It's completely true that men can take so many things for granted in many different areas of life, not just games.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    You're not the only one who feels that way, Caroline. It's completely true that men can take so many things for granted in many different areas of life, not just games.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Web a-virtual-life.blogspot.com