A Virtual Life
Sunday, March 12, 2006
Cybersex?
The time before, I explained how you select your characters and its possible impact on the relationships. I also mentioned how people would flirt with me easily, which leads me naturally to talk about cybersex...

Cyber-sex seems to be common. Ok it might be a “big” word, but sometimes, it comes pretty close to it. One of the men I met found my monk to his taste. He was friendly at first, and I was pretty open to meet other people and maybe to become friends with them. One of the first questions was related to my gender and age. He really wanted to make sure that I was not an underage girl. At first, I found it quite normal. It was not the first time a relationship would start that way. The second time was a bit different. He didn’t remember my name nor my age, and so he asked me again. Suspicious as I am (!), I asked him this time why. He replied that he didn’t want to get in trouble, or even worse, that I get in trouble.
Maybe I am a little naive, but as far as I know, we are playing an online game, so how is it possible to get in trouble (unless you are a scammer and you don’t respect GW rules)?
The answer was that he plays using adult themes. My suspicious mind became very agitated and I couldn’t help asking for more information. He meant that he is “trying to emote sexual interactions with the available game actions" (sic). To be honest, I found that attitude disgusting. I replied by saying I was not interested at all and I didn’t know if I really wanted to pursue a relationship with him. The reply was “Let’s start playing together and you will decide later”. As I wanted to give him a chance, we started playing (with my warrior instead). As we were only the two of us, my character died pretty quickly. Then he starts asking me questions about my experience about the game, if I am good enough to survive, etc. He was pretty patronizing. I left him quite quickly and since then I don’t have any news from him.
Maybe my reaction was extreme, but how would you have reacted?

Also, the main question that remains unanswered is what is the point? I know for fact that the Internet allows you to act as you like, and you can lose your inhibitions quickly. There are no barriers and the rules in this virtual world can be broken without hardly any consequences.

Technorati Tags: , , .
posted by Caroline @ 8:22 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 1:28 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    See, I've visited your site and actually read some of your posts because of your posting on Blogger Forum. Participating at other sites and leaving a link to yourself probably gets more quality visitors than services like Blog Explosion.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Luis Damasco said…

    I personally agree with Steve. I'm here to thank you for helping me on my blog and also to read your very interesting posts. This is definitely a interesting topic to write about but I see that you really enjoy what you are doing. Keep up the good work. :D

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Thuy "twee" Doan said…

    Thanks for the input! Yes, I would like to exchange links--I've gone ahead and added your blog to my list. Hope you continue reading!

    ThuY

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger feedscott said…

    Interesting topic. I found you through The Flip Side. Are you a vurf? pvtbfs

    cheers

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting topic. I found you through The Flip Side. Are you a vurf? pvtbfs

    cheers

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Thanks for all your positive feedbacks!
    Scott, if you come back, could you explain what you meant please?
    Cheers, Caroline

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't know you could play GW this way. But for sure, social behaviors evolve with means of communication and especially the Internet.

    If people can play and meet other people through the Internet, I guess it's pretty normal. Today, you can meet your soulmate on MSN. So why not sharing fantasies this way ? With webcams and stuff, all of this became really easy. Plus, that allows people to do things they wouldn't do in reality ! Who doesn't dream to be someone else just for a moment ?
    Therefore, I think it's a real breakthrough since it offers more and more possibilities and surely stimulates people's imaginations.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Matt,

    Thanks for your comment. I think you are right when you say that social behaviours evolve with the Internet, and I don't have any problems with that. Some of my friends are now married with the person they found on the Internet, on some dedicated websites. The problem I have is that the main purpose of the game (which is for me to play and have fun) is somehow diverted, and there are lots of kids in the game.

    Cheers, Caroline

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    I don't think your reaction was extreme at all. If some guy had been exhibiting a patronising attitude towards me because I'm a woman, I would have either told him to change his attitude or left his party.

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have only had one negative experience playing as a female character, although this is probably because I play predominantly with henchies (though sometimes I think that Little Thom stands a little closer when I play as a female).

    A boy was saying some pretty crude and overtly sexual things in a town. After the mission, however, he asked if I was really a girl and apologised when I said I was.

    This is not actually the case mind you - I am a male, and I feel fairly rotten for deceiving him. But I suppose in some backwards way it had the positive effect of teaching the boy to mind his behaviour.

    I believe that a lot of people act the way they do out of a belief that most female characters are not female in real life. Unfortunately this is a poor rule to follow as the female population in Guild Wars, from my experience, is pretty strong.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i swear these cybersexers need 2 be banned from gw.......or is that 2 mean? lol

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    lol I really think there are many people who should be banned from GW. Some people take that game way too seriously, and are very disrespectful...

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Howdy i am new here, I hit upon this board I have found It positively accommodating and it's helped me so much. I should be able to give something back & support other people like it has helped me.

    Thanks a load, Catch You About.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Web a-virtual-life.blogspot.com