A Virtual Life
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Guild Wars Basics
Maybe I should have done this before, but today I decided to talk about the game itself. (Many thanks to Soto* for providing me with the topic!)

Guild Wars is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game). The current version I am playing costs about USD40 (CAD60)**. The game editor NC Interactive will be releasing at the end of April a new version of the game called Guild Wars Factions. This version of the game can already be pre-ordered for USD45 (CAD60)**.
The major advantage with this game is that it’s all you need pay. There are no subscription fees whatsoever! Therefore, you can play as much or as little as you like without being worried by wasting your money! I think that’s one of the reasons why this game is so popular.
The updates are made automatically on the server when you log in using the software client. Bugs are corrected pretty quickly.

So after installing it, what’s next? The fun starts by choosing your character and his/her profession (Warrior, Monk, Necromancer, Mesmer, Ranger, or Elementalist). Then you begin to play. The learning curve is easy. (Just to make things clear, I would like to say that I am not a proficient player. Guild Wars is the first game I’ve ever played intensively.)
You start with a tutorial (called pre-searing Ascalon) where you learn the basics: move your character, use the weapons, get the quests, talk to other players, choose your second profession, etc. By realizing the different quests and missions, you acquire more experience (which shows in your character's level) and skills specific to your first and second professions. It is fairly easy to level up your character. When you reach Level 3, which can be done in less than two hours, you can leave the tutorial part and go to post-searing (it is though strongly advised to do it when you are above Level 6). The highest level you can reach is 20 (you are then more or less halfway through the game), which is considered low compared to other online games. Depending on how often you play (and how talented you are!), it can be done rather quickly. The fact is that the level cap is so “low” is to “force” the player to focus on their skills and ability to play, and not to the level itself.

I think I told pretty much the basics of the game. The main thing to remember is that it’s only a game and that you should have FUN with it! :-)



* Visit Soto at The Flip Side. You can there read her posts, submit your website, etc.
**Prices to date, before taxes, and indicated for information only.

Technorati Tags: , , .
posted by Caroline @ 10:15 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for clarifying the game. I so want to start playing. Just need to save up for the game now LOL. I think I will add it to my 101 things to do ;)

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said…

    Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving feedback. I’m not a gamer therefore can’t really offer feedback. But, I’ve enjoyed browsing your blog and think it will be useful to fellow gamers.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good post. Check out my site for Guild Wars Cheats, Dupes, Exploits and Hacks http://www.exploitsrus.org/gw.html
    For Guild Wars Cheats, Dupes, Exploits, and Hacks, click here.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Justin said…

    Ty for that post i read it and said to myself man i really need to get into gear and start seriously playing this game...btw what prof are you by your pic it looks like ele?

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hi Justin!
    Yes that's right, I had an ele as profession, but my favorite ones are Warrior and Monk (I know, very different ways of playing).
    I hope you will enjoy playing the game, it can be lots of fun!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Web a-virtual-life.blogspot.com