A Virtual Life
Monday, May 29, 2006
Creating a Guild
To create a guild, it’s relatively straight forward, provided you have enough money. You must go to the Guild Registrar to register your new guild, you must also create the cape, which will represent your guild, then if want, you can then purchase your guild hall (not mandatory for the guild itself, but necessary for GvG (Guild versus Guild) battles). The latter is the most expensive element, as it will cost you 20k.
That is the easy part.
Once the guild is created, you have to actively recruit members. In my opinion, this is the hardest part and it requires lots of work and effort. To start with, you’re gonna probably try to recruit amongst your acquaintances and friends, and unless you have lots of friends, it won’t be enough, for example, to build a GvG group (you need at least 8 players). So you will probably need to advertise randomly for recruits. However, not all recruits are ideal guild members and some might not fit in. By using that method, you will have in your guild members who can be very nice, or altogether the opposite.
A guild includes a simple hierarchy:
- A leader who has the full powers of recruiting, promoting, demoting, etc.
- A few officers, who have restricted powers. They can recruit members, promote them as officers, etc.
- Non-ranked members.
I have been an officer in two guilds and I can tell you, it’s a lot of work trying to recruit new members. And it is for that reason that I don’t want to create my own guild.
You have to deal with lots of weird people, and you never know how those new recruits turn out. Here is a sample of the questions I had while recruiting people:
Potential member (PM): Can I become an officer?
Me (M): Not right away, you have to demonstrate your capability.
PM: OK, good bye then.

PM: Can you give me money?
M: No, a guild is not a place to beg.
PM: Good bye.

After becoming a member:
- Oh, that cape looks gay, I quit!
I just hate when people use that expression, as if being gay is lame…
- Can I have money?
See above.

And this one is probably my favourite. The member is designated by LM:
LM: Can I become an officer? It’s been already 3 months that I have been in that guild and the leader promised me that I will be promoted.
Me: I don’t know. As the guild leader is not online, I would suggest you wait until he’s back.
LM: Please, promote me!! I love power and I wanna have some. I have been officer in all the guilds I have been!
Me: Why did you leave them then?
LM: Because I wanted to have more and more power! Please, promote me!
Me (starting to get annoyed): No, you wait for the guild leader.
LM: Please, I am so fascinated by power! But don’t worry, I do respect power…
Me: I cannot promote you without the guild leader’s consent. Wait for him.
LM: OK then.

And he left.

I was pretty pissed off because of his attitude. I don’t like it when people beg non-stop, and to be honest, I really don’t have any clue what he was talking about. You have a sort of power when you are in a guild, but it has nothing to do with real one. People tend to forget that it is a virtual world, and they sometimes confuse everything.

Technorati Tags: , , .
posted by Caroline @ 9:29 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, love your journal, is a great read. Completely agree with you on this point. Was just thinking to myself that it would make more sense if a potential guild recruit had to pay the guild a sum of money in order to join it. That way there would be less people guild hopping and begging for freebies. But it seems the best way to find recruits is to meet people randomly in quests and missions and establish a friendship with them. I don't understand the appeal of a large guild anyway. Generally speaking, the larger they are, the less people know each other, and the less fun people have. I guess it's a bit ageist of me, but age information should would make this process a lot easier. Of course some people would lie, and it may be conducive of age discrimination, but I would prefer to know as much about someone as I can before recruiting them into my guild, or even simply playing with them.

     
  • At 4:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I'd like to congratulate you for such a great made site!
    Was thinking this is a perfect way to make my first post!

    Sincerely,
    Edwyn Sammy
    if you're ever bored check out my site!
    [url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/monster-truck-party-supplies.html]monster truck Party Supplies[/url].

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I normally don't leave comments but I just thought I'd let you know that this blog is great. I write too, but I can't
    write as well as you do. Here are some of my writings. If you want to look at them, if not it's ok. anyway, thanks.

    Hostgator Web Hosting
    Assassin's Creed 2 Review
    How To Play Magic The Gathering

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey. I don't normally leave comments, but I just wanted to say thanks for the great information. I have a blog too, though
    I don't write as good as you do, but if you want to check it out here it is. Thanks again and have a great day!

    Husqvarna Chain Saw

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, good site very much appreciatted

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Web a-virtual-life.blogspot.com