A Virtual Life
Sunday, June 04, 2006
Questions and Answers
I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate one of my posts to questions you may have about the game or anything else! To start with, I will answer questions I have been asked earlier and may seem a bit random. The most recent have been added to the top of the list in ascending order.
To ask a question, just leave a comment and I will update the post with my answer to it.
I hope you will find the Q&A useful.

8. Can you join 2 guilds?
As far as I know, you can be part of only one guild per account. To join different guilds, you have to create several accounts.

7. How long does it take to reach level 20?
Depending on the chosen character and your skills as a player, it will take about 50 hours to reach the level cap.

6. What are the Best Profession Combos?
Depending on your way of playing, you want to optimize your character’s skills by selecting the best secondary profession.
Here are the different professions you can choose amongst: Warrior (W), Monk (Mo), Necromancer (N), Elementalist (E), Ranger (R) and Mesmer (Me).

WarriorWarrior
- W/Mo: The most common combo. The Warrior can deal lots of damage and still heal himself. It’s a good choice to solo.
- W/R: You can use the Marksmanship attribute and/or have a pet to help you.

MonkMonk
- Mo/W: Very common combo, as you can heal and use the Tactics attributes to protect yourself and your team.
- Mo/R: In that case, you would use the Wilderness Survival attribute.
- Mo/Me: It can be a good combo too.

NecromancerNecromancer
As I am not very familiar with necros, here are the most common combos I’ve seen so far:
- N/Mo or N/Me
- N/R

ElementalistElementalist
- E/Mo: As a secondary Monk, you will be able to focus on healing and maybe protecting if you have point attributes left.
- E/Me: As a secondary Mesmer, you can use the Illusion Magic and Inspiration attributes.
- E/N: By using the Blood Magic attribute, you can explore corpses for regenerating your health.
It seems that you can also combine successfully an Elementalist with the Ranger profession.

As I don’t have any Mesmer nor Ranger characters, I asked some of my friends, and here are their best combo selections:

RangerRanger
- R/Mo
- R/W
- R/E

MesmerMesmer
-Me/Mo
-Me/E

Technorati Tags: , , , , , .

5. How to level up quickly?
This is a question that I’ve been asked frequently.
You have several ways to do so:
- You can pay someone to run you through the missions and quests (can be expensive if you’ve just started to play),
- You can ‘be run’ (again you have to pay) to the different towns and arrive to Droknar’s Forge (one of the advanced towns) at low level and find a “power-leveler”. The latter is a player whose character level is 20. He will “farm” with you, i.e. you will go outside of the towns with him and he will kill enemies and thereby you will get experience (XP) points without doing a thing,
- You can also play the game!
Needless to say that I totally disapprove the two first solutions.
I don’t understand people who resort to those tricks. If you proceed like this, you will miss lots of things in the game, like quests that give points and free skills, the pleasure of discovering the game environment. You won’t know your available skills until you discover for yourself the best way to use and/or combine them.

Technorati Tags: , .

4. What is the best profession?
In my opinion, there is no such thing.
You choose the profession that suits your game style the best.
The Warrior/Monk combo is definitely the most frequent one. There are lots of them, and at higher levels, you can even have problems to find a team due to their overabundance.
The one considered as "indispensable" is the Monk. You can find a team very easily.
I don't know why, but it seems that the less popular profession is the Mesmer. I like having them in the team, because they are at least as useful as the other ones.

Technorati Tags: , , , .

3. Can I reach the level cap (level 20) in pre-searing?
No, you cannot. If you stay in pre-searing until you reach level 8, you will gain no further experience points (XP) by killing enemies or completing quests.

Technorati Tags: .

2. What are “pre-searing” and “post-searing?”
“Pre-searing” corresponds to the tutorial part of the game. You can leave that part once you have reached level 3 at the minimum. You must then choose your second profession. After your return to Ascalon and mandatory talk with Tydus, you will leave this part of the game for good and never return to it. This is called “post-searing.” However, it is recommended your character reaches level 6 before moving on. This can be done in about 2 hours.
People in pre-searing and post-searing cannot play together. If it's not your first character, you cannot have access to your storage space while being in pre-searing (it would be too easy!).

Technorati Tags: , , .

1. What is the level cap?
The level cap is 20, which seems to be low compared with other games.

Technorati Tags: .

posted by Caroline @ 6:12 PM  
29 Comments:
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said…

    Your blog is coming along nicely.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Airah said…

    thanks a lot. *hugs*

    sincerely,
    airah

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Airah said…

    thankies!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Joseph Salomonsen said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger SgtMajor said…

    nice blog even i dont play that games, you set it up great

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    It is possible to reach Level 20 in Pre-Searing. I have seen Level 20 characters in Pre-Searing. It takes a long time, but it's quite possible. You need to get both professions, and then do the Across the Wall quest. Then you have to allow the Charr to kill you over and over again. The enemy Charr will level up. Then when they are high enough level, you can kill them for a lot of XP. You need to repeat this many many times. However, ArenaNet recently made this much more difficult to do.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Thanks Brinstar for dropping by and correcting my mistake! Gonna correct my post.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does it take a insane amount of time to level to 20 with consistant play?

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hi,
    Thanks for dropping by!
    No, it doesn't take an insane amount of time to reach lvl20. If you do all the quests, the missions and bonuses at the beginning, you can the level cap pretty quickly. I play everyday a bit. I started my necro about a month ago, and she's already lvl20. But I know how to level up quickly, so it might take you a little bit more, but not too much.

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got a Mo/W from 1 to 20 in 2 days back in the summer, I dunno if it changed from then

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A Mo/E combination is also quite effective since you can use the elementalist's wards or glyphs to protect your team or make your healing powers more effective. Glyph of Lesser Energy and a Heal Team are especially effective because of the huge energy cost reduction and being able to heal your entire party for a decent ammount.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hey,
    Thanks for leaving a comment!
    I haven't thought of combining Glyph of Lesser Energy with healing skills! Good tip!

     
  • At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First off I've been researching Leveling up in pre-searing and found only one way to do it with success and speed. First off Do nothing but Farming untill you hit level 8. Level 8 is when you get about 16 or less exp per monster lower than level 5. Do this solo out in the world and u shouldent have any problems. to get from 8 to 10 all u have to do is go arround and do every single profession change quest. Just do the quest and dont take the profession. Get ur 250 or 500 exp for taking the quest and completing it and bam ur level 10. At level 10 go charr hunting over the wall with a party. Yes you die alot. Alot. Get to level 16 killing charr. After hitting 16 do every quest in pre-searing and u should end up at ~18/19. from there on all you do is pick that first group of charr by the broken tower and let um kill you about 100 times then knock the hell out of them and get ur self anywere from 15-20% exp toward next level. I found the best class to do this is a very rare W/N using blood renewal,vamparic touch and Sword skills. Theres your How to guide to get to level 20 in pre.

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hey, thanks for taking the time to write this How-to! It's gonna be very useful for any player who drop by. :-)

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually you can become level 20 in pre searing ive seen many people do it and so did i

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Caroline-
    I've made it to level 12, but I cannot figure out how to equip those runes/artifacts to increase my energy. Would you be kind enough to help? I have not joined a guild yet, and that may be part of it...

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hey Jason,
    You just need to double-click on a rune to activate it and then, click on the part of the armour where you want to apply the rune.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Caroline

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for answering my last question. I've got a few more for you. I tried to use the salvage kit (basic) on several items, and the items just disappeared. How do you use the kit, and what do you do once items are salvaged? Also, in Yak's Bend, a lot of other players are talking about making a "run to LA." What is that, and how do you join that quest?
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this blog.

    Jason

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I've got one more. I keep forgetting to ask, at what point am I able to make my character unique like most of the other players. Do you have to get to level 20, and then you get to personalize your character's looks and dress, or is it a secret & I just have to figure it out... nobody will tell me. Ha. Ha.
    Thanks
    Jason aka Killian Jamie

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hello Jason,
    Your best choice would be to buy an expert salvage kit.
    You will then be able to convert raw material into more useful material such as leather squares, iron ingots, etc. (Those can be exchanged for upgrading armors).
    In Yak's, you can find many people who will run you to Lion's Arch (LA). You will eventually get there when going through all the various quests and missions, just follow the storyline.
    In outposts, you can upgrade your armor.
    You just need to go to an armor guy and have all the necessary items (like materials), and money of course. You do not need to wait until you reach level 20. You need to upgrade beforehand, otherwise you will keep on dying easily when you reach a certain level.
    HTH

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Caroline-
    You've really helped me out a lot. Much appreciated! It's great to get insight from an experienced player like youself. If it's OK, I'd like to clarify a previous question I asked. I was wondering about the armour, and thanks for answering that, but what I was really getting at is "how do I make my character as life-like as the others I see." That's not in the basic design when you initially build a character. Most are extremely unique, and I guessed that at some level, we're able to "transform" our players image, clothes, height, looks, etc. Am I right about that, and how do you do it? I'm bored with the way my character looks, and most everyone else seems to have "upgraded" characters.

    Jason

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hi Jason,
    Not sure I understand your question.
    All the characters I created have the same face, height, etc. The only thing that changed is the armor. I am pretty sure you cannot change anything else.
    Cheers,
    Caroline

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm probably misunderstanding what I'm seeing. My character is a Warrior/Elementalist, and maybe it's the different combos that create such unique characters. Most characters in town don't seem to wear head gear, and if they do it's very unique. Clothing and style for the women seem very unique. I've seen no two alike. Some of the male players are really tall, and most have unusually dress, not armour... and the dancing too ... I just thought this might be something special you can do as you level up. Maybe not. Lot's of fun, anyways, and you've really helped me to play the game better. Thanks a lot. You're the best!
    Jason

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Caroline-
    I finally figured out what I was seeing. These are players from Factions and Nightfall. Do you mind answering one more, then? Which is the most recent version of Guild Wars? I'm playing Eye of the North - game of the year edition. Will I get a different experience if I play one of the others. What do you suggest...lastly, do you still play? What's your player's names, if you care to share. Probably ran into you before and didn't realize it. Thanks for all your help.

    Jason

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Hi Jason,
    Yes there are different versions of Guild Wars. The first one is called Guild Wars Prophecy campaign and is the first chapter of the story.
    After that were released Factions and Nightfall.
    In Factions, you can get access to 2 extra professions that don't exist in Prophecy: the Assassin and the Ritualist.
    In Nightfall, you also have 2 extra professions that don't exist anywhere else: the Paragon and the Dervish.
    The latest version is Eye of the North. As far as I understood, this version is an expansion package, not a version in itself like Factions or Nightfall.
    The storyline of all the different versions is different. Personally, I play GW Prophecies and Nightfall (I don't own the other versions). I really liked playing Prophecy, but somehow I found it much harder than Nightfall. The new professions in Nightfall are great, but I miss the interaction with other players as in Nightfall, you can pretty much play with NPCs all way through. (I do intend to write about it one day!).
    Do I still play? Not recently. My work is keeping me pretty busy, but I would like to play soon again. My dervish name is Danika Winterfall. If I am online, say hello. :-)

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been offline awhile too, due to work. I just created a new character thanks to your help. See you out in the field.

    Jason

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, as you can see this is my first post here.
    I will be glad to receive any assistance at the beginning.
    Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Caroline said…

    what kind of help do you need? Just post your questions and I'll try to help :)

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for spreading the word about this.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Web a-virtual-life.blogspot.com